Wednesday, October 10, 2007


Aw... health insurance.

I have been feeling blue today, not because that I have sad experiences, but thinking about people surround me. Living in America... everything is overpriced. You know why ? Because everything has liability, people sues right and left. Medical expenses are outrageous. I belong to the yahoogroups for parents in my city, they have discussions about heath insurance and what not. Some families elected not to have health insurance. They cannot afford it, it's so high priced!!!

I saw my medical bill when I was giving birth to Aidan. Just only for 2 nights stay, it cost the insurance more than $30,000
I saw Aidan's bill from his vaccination shots : average of $400 for a 15 minutes visit.
I saw Aidan's bill from his 4 hours observation for EEG : $800

M-Care sold the insurance to BCBS, and we have to decide which insurance we are going to get. There are HMO's and PPO's or even the Traditional Insurance. We are so grateful that we could afford the most expensive one and the best one, the PPO.. but how much it costs for a month ? It's $1,300 for the whole family

I feel so bad, if a family with an average salary of $2,500 a month, how could they afford it ? How do they afford to eat, paying rent, school, entertainments, clothing ?

Average of people here in the States have more than $15,000 credit card debt. A lot of people claimed bancruptcy because of the medical bills.

I see some of my friends have to move out from the house because they got laid off from the jobs. I see a mom and a child so sudden has to be in tight budgets because of the divorce.

I feel for those people, and my family is lucky that we don't have to deal with those issues, but I can not be proud of it, because my heart got hurt, thinking about them.

How you could help ?

No comments: